I am a Ph.D. candidate in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University of Utah. My advisor is Dr. Neal Patwari . I work in the areas of localization in sensor networks, statistical signal processing, measurement and design of wireless embedded systems.
50 S Central Campus Dr.
MEB Room 3280
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
ECE Department page:
Research Assistant, University of Utah
Research Intern, Microsoft Research Asia
- Hand Gesture Recognition using RSS for Handheld Wireless Devices
Research Assistant, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Detection and Classification of Multiple Component Linear Frequency Modulation Signal
Hardware Intern, China Aerospace Science and Industry Corporation
- Design of a 1553B Bus Monitor Circuit Board
- Y. Zhao, N. Patwari, P. Agrawal, M. Rabbat, Directed by Directionality: Benefiting from the Gain Pattern of Active RFID Badges, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 11 (2012), pp. 865-877.
- Y. Zhao, G. Mace, J. Comstock, The Occurrence of Particle Size Distribution Bimodality in Middle Latitude Cirrus as Inferred from Ground-based Remote Sensing Data, Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, vol. 68, pp. 1162-1177.
- Y. Zhao, N. Patwari, Noise Reduction for Variance-Based Device-Free Localization and Tracking, in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE Communications Society Conference on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), June, 2011. Selective: 27% acceptance rate.
- Y. Zhao, Y. Wang, The Application of Radon-Wigner Transform in Classification of Linear Frequency Modulation Radar Signal, in Proceedings of the Ninth Signal and Information Processing Conference of Chinese Aeronautics and Astronautics Society, pp 257-260, September, 2005.
Posters & Demonstrations
- Y. Zhao, N. Patwari, "Demo Abstract: Histogram Distance-Based Radio Tomographic Localization", in Proceedings of the 11th IPSN, Beijing, China, April, 2012.
- Y. Zhao, "Poster: Device-Free Localization of People in Wireless Sensor Networks", IPSN PhD forum, Beijing, China, April, 2012.
- Y. Zhao, N. Patwari, "Demo Abstract: Noise Reduction for Variance-Based Radio Tomographic Localization", in Proceedings of the 8th IEEE SECON, Salt Lake City, Utah, June, 2011.
- Y. Zhao, G. Mace, M. Deng, J. Comstock, "Poster: The Role of Small Particles in Cirrus Examined using Ground-Based Remote Sensing Measurements and An Assumed Bimodal Particle Size Distribution", in the 2008 American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, California, December, 2008.
- Y. Zhao, "Radio Tomographic Localization in Wireless Sensor Networks", Invited talk, Mobile and Sensing Systems Group of Microsoft Research Asia, Beijing, China, April 2012.
- Y. Zhao, "Model-Based Device-Free Localization Techniques in Wireless Sensor Networks", Invited talk, School of Information Science and Engineering at the Shandong University, Jinan, China, April 2012.
- Y. Zhao, G. Mace, “A Bimodal Particle Distribution Assumption in Cirrus: Comparison of Retrieval Results with In Situ Measurements”, the 18th Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program Science Team Meeting, Norfolk, Virginia, March 2008.
Awards & Honors
- Graduate School Entrance Exam Waiver, Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- First Prize of Electronic Design Contest, Shandong Province
- Foxconn Fellowship, Shandong University
- Chinese Chess Champion, Tenth Sports Game of Taian City
Hobbies & Activities
I am a big fan of table tennis. I win the first runner-up of 2010 Utah Table Tennis Open Tournament, I have been to two table tennis clubs in Utah, one in Salt Lake City, the other in Lehi. I also like badminton, I organize the Second Utah Chinese Challenge Cup Badminton Tournament, and I go to the badminton gym HPER at the U. I also enjoy hiking, and playing go game.